Thursday 20 August 2015

Two Disappointing Liquid Lipsticks

Since liquid lipsticks have become a revolutionary product in the makeup world, I'm always up for trying new ones - being either drugstore or high end. Sadly, two of my liquid lipstick purchases from New York (I recently did a beauty haul showcasing all my purchases!) have let me down, both for completely different reasons. I thought it'd be best to let you all know my thoughts on them in case you were thinking of buying either one, but do remember that products work differently for everyone! I might have got a dodgy batch of product, so always read other reviews because others may think differently.
L.A. GIRL MATTE FLAT FINISH PIGMENT GLOSS 'DREAMY'
I bought this from a little beauty supply store in Brooklyn, and it caught my eye since I knew the L.A. Girl PRO Concealer was good as well as their lip liners, so I was intrigued to try their liquid lipstick! I can't remember the exact price but it was around $5, a bargain?! The pigmentation of this product is also actually really good - you can see it in my swatch below - so I was super impressed by that.







NOW my problem with this liquid lipstick is that it doesn't dry 100% matte?! In the swatch above it looks pretty matte, and it dries 80% matte on the lips too but it keeps a tackiness which drives me crazy. I wore it for a good few hours too hoping that it'd dry, but it didn't! So whenever I would close my lips they'd get stuck together, and when I'd eat or drink my lipstick would get stuck to whatever I was eating/drinking.




You can see in the picture above that the lipstick doesn't look completely matte and smooth on my lips, and my application looks nasty because when I'd conceal around my lips to make it look perfect, the lipstick would get tacky and stick to my concealer brush. It's not tacky like a lipgloss, but just a TAD tacky that I'd no way call it a mattifying liquid lipstick.


Now in the picture above, I had pressed my lips together after letting the lipstick dry for AGES and you can see how the tackiness caused my lips to stick to each other and bits of the lipstick to pull off in the process. It looks like a HOT MESS. If you didn't press your lips together at all throughout the day, and didn't create any contact on your lips with food/drink then your lipstick would look fab, but I can't bear to wear it again :(

KAT VON D EVERLASTING LIQUID LIPSTICK 'JEFFREE'

I was determined to get either an Anastasia Beverly Hills or Kat Von D liquid lipstick whilst I was in New York since they're equally hyped up and both were $20. I decided to go for a coral from Kat Von D since it'd be great for Summer. The pigmentation of this liquid lipstick is also great, but it didn't quite work on my lips...




My problem with this liquid lipstick is that it didn't provide a strong swipe of pigmentation in one go, so it didn't cover the darkness of my natural lip colour. In order to get an opaque colour with no patchiness, I needed to do three layers - but even then this doesn't compare to the super opaque colour I get with one swipe from my Sephora Cream Lip Stains. For the price, I expected a fab formula but I didn't really get that :(


one layer

two layers

three layers

This liquid lipstick however does dry completely matte and feels nice on the lips throughout the day, so I'll be more likely to wear it in comparison to the L.A. Girl one, it'll just take a while to get it perfectly opaque.

I hope this post was helpful, let me know in the comments below or on my Instagram comments @fabuleusebeauty if you've tried either of the liquid lipsticks and your thoughts! I really want to know if I just got funky batches and they might actually be great, other shades of both lipsticks may also be great and differ in formula. Remember to read other reviews though and not just mine before you decide to not give them a go!


xoxo


2 comments:

  1. Hey there, I’ve nominated you for the liebster award! As I absolutely love your blog and the review you do are so helpful You really do deserve so many more followers :) the post is up on my blog www.summyluvin.blogspot.co.uk thanks x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should really do a short hair look guide... I've also recently donated my hair to the little princess trust

    ReplyDelete