Thursday 23 July 2015

HOW TO: Perfect Bold Lip



I'm always receiving questions on my Instagram @fabuleusebeauty and in general about how I get my lipstick to look perfect. From loads of experimenting, I've found a method that I now never miss when I do my lipstick, and I am happy to share it with you! all Even though this blog post is titled 'perfect bold lip', I use this technique for nude lips and any other lip colour too. I can guarantee that it will completely change how your lipstick looks, as well as your entire makeup, since it also helps with covering any pigmentation around the lips (with I have). I did do a mini explanation on an Instagram post a while ago about how I get perfect lipstick application, but hopefully this should be easier to understand!

1. CREATE A BLANK CANVAS


If you're using a bold lipstick, this step will really help because it will mask most of the pigmentation in your lips and around your lips. I normally use the excess foundation on my foundation brush and tap it over my lips, and then press my lips inwards so I can buff foundation mainly around my lips. Try not to put TOO much foundation on your lips because it can build up and cause a nasty texture. Also, put on a tiny bit of lip balm!

2. LINE THE LIPS


Try to find a lip pencil that matches your lipstick, or is closest to the colour and line the outer edge of your lips. Feel free to over-line your lips if you want to make them look fuller! This step definitely helps to make applying lipstick later a lot easier. For extra precision, be sure to sharpen your lip pencil. If anyone is curious, I used MAC 'Kiss Me Quick' Pro Longwear  Lip Pencil.

3. FILL IN THE LIPS


Using the same lip pencil, colour in your entire lips. This will help to prolong the lip colour throughout the day!

4. APPLY LIPSTICK


Take your lipstick and apply it all over the lips. You can use a lip brush if you find it easier to be precise, but you'll get more pigment and intensity if you use the lipstick straight from the bullet. Don't worry if you make any mistakes when getting the edges straight and perfect, because the next step will be a huge help for that! If anyone is curious, I used MAC 'Riri Woo' Lipstick.

5. CONCEAL AROUND THE EDGES

This step is what makes all the difference, and is essentially my trick to get perfect lipstick application. For my concealer I use Benefit 'Boing' Concealer in shade 02. It has high coverage and is really creamy, although you can use any other pot concealer which I feel are best for outlining the lips. Otherwise, you can use your foundation as an alternative, however it might not be as thick and long lasting.




As you can see, my Boing concealer is well loved - I need to buy a new one soon...

For my concealer brush, I use a MAC 195 brush. The one I have is a travel size and has a different number on it, BUT after looking through the MAC website the 195 brush is definitely the full size version. The reason I HAVE to use this brush when outlining my lips is because it is really flat and thin, so I can create thin precise lines around my lips. Also, the bristles are synthetic, which means they feel smooth and not 'hairy', which also allows the lines to be extra smooth!



I coat both sides of my concealer brush with concealer, but not too much! I start off with my bottom lip, starting from the middle of my bottom lip and pulling the concealer up in one swipe. Do try to move your brush along the edge of your lip in one motion, because that will ensure you get a smooth line. Although of course you can apply concealer to any areas next to the edge of your lip that you might have missed, just work with it slowly! I normally make sure to get concealer around the corner of my lip too because I have some dark pigmentation there.


Then, using whatever is on your concealer brush, blend the concealer line down into the rest of your skin/foundation so it looks seamless and you cant see the obvious line around your lips!


I then do the middle of my bottom lip, where I press my bottom lip inwards and stretch it so it's taunt. I then conceal around the edge, and blend it down into my foundation.


Then, I conceal around the other side of my bottom lip, doing the exact same thing that I explained for the first side.

Next, I move onto the sides of my top lip. For this I start from my cupid's bow and pull the concealer down in one swipe going towards the corner of my mouth. I then blend the concealer that is crossing over around the corner of my mouth, so it covers any dark pigmentation I have on my skin. I also blend the concealer up from the side of my top lip, into my foundation.





I then repeat the same process on the other side for my top lip!

The last step is the cupid's bow. Depending on your lips this can either be more easy or difficult. For me it's quite difficult because my lips are deep-set into my skin, and aren't as raised so I have to be extra careful when doing my cupid's bow! If my cupid's bow is pretty clean and precise already, I just smile as normal and go around the edges with my concealer brush. However if my cupid's bow needs more tidying up, I press my top lip inwards and taunt and go around the edges.



The last thing you'll then need to do is take your foundation brush and buff carefully around the concealer you have applied, just to make sure that it becomes part of the rest of your makeup! Also, feel free to add a touch more lipstick as a finishing touch.




I hope this post has been helpful, do give this concealing technique a go and see if it makes a difference to your makeup and the look of your lipstick!

xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment